Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Back Injury

The past month has been very difficult for me.  Somehow I hurt my back, yet again.  But this time it is much worse.  I was unable to get out of bed by myself, dress myself, I had to stand to eat, and could barely sit on the toilet!  I went to our family doctor only to get rude treatment.  He wanted to just give me strong pain killers, but I am not a fan of taking medications!  He finally did get me scheduled for an MRI, which found that I have a herniated disk that is pressing on the nerve root....OUCH!  The medications he gave me only made me sleepy and did not touch the pain.  I asked for a referral to see a Neurosurgeon and he was no happy about that, but did send it in.

I went to a different doctor, Dr. Wilkenson, and he sat and talked to my husband and I about what the MRI showed and he recommended I see a Neurosurgeon.  He changed my medications to Neurotin, which helps so much with the pain!  I still have episodes of pain and numbness, but so much better!  I am actually able to do some things around the house without crying!

I saw the Neurosurgeon, Dr. Singel, on Monday.  He doesn't want to rush into surgery because he says the herniated disk is causing the pain on my legs, but he is not convinced that is what is causing the back pain.  He ordered an X-ray of my back in flexion and extension to see if I have lumbar instability.  He said that about 10% of people have this condition and he wants to see if that is want is causing the pain.  I had my x-ray yesterday and I go see him again tomorrow.  I am hoping that we will get some more concrete answers.  I have had back pain since I was in high school and it really started getting bad about 4 1/2 years ago. 

For now my training is put on hold! I know...I am bummed, but I really need to make sure my body is in great same before I do all my training!  I have been trying to stick to a more strick diet, but have not always been faithful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment