Thursday, January 6, 2011

A New Crowd in the Gym

This is from Jen-Fit-training.blogspot.com  I had to share!  When I read this, I knew exactly what she is talking about!  Despite the fact that I just joined a gym, I have already caught myself thinking "most of these people will be gone in a few weeks"  or "why don't they get off that machine I want since they are only here for a social time"  I am sorry for having those thoughts!  Everyone deserves to have the encouragement they need to transform their bodies!  I am here to cheer you on!  We may not have the same goals, but that is ok!  You are making steps towards a healthy life and that is what matters!  ~Toni

"It’s January 6th.


It’s the beginning of the year.

5 a.m. 7 a.m. 11 a.m. 3 p.m. It doesn’t matter what the time is. The gym is packed.
The last couple of years I’ve actually complained about the influx of people at the beginning of the year. All the machines are taken. There aren’t any treadmills available. The steppers are a joke. People wandering around aimlessly. Others standing around talking.

This year is no different. Same busyness – only different crowd. New people.

At first I caught myself doing the same thing. Complaining. I wanted my machines (as if I have any more entitlement to them than anybody else). I wanted my stepmill.

But after thinking more about it, I felt guilty. My heart softened. This new crowd was me just a few years ago. They are taking that first step – similar to when I took my first step. It’s that leap of faith that things will be different. New year, new drive, new determination to make a real change. Every single one of those new gym-goers taking my machines are trying to make a positive difference. They are putting themselves out there. They are “fitting it in”, and to that I give huge kudos.

So many people complain they can’t find time for exercise. Their lives are too busy. Too demanding. Too stressful. Every single one of those people at the gym – they were somehow doing it. They were making time. Sure, it probably meant some of them were having to forgo something else in order to be there, but they were doing it. They were making their health and their bodies a priority.

It was with that realization that I somehow felt better about “sharing” my machines. I almost welcomed them. Because really, I want them to be there. I want them to succeed. I want them to feel exhausted when they leave the gym. I want them to feel like they are making and seeing improvements.

I know the percentages are against them. Traditionally most new years resolutions are broken – many times within the first month. I’m hoping against the odds that for most of these strangers and new gym go-ers that that isn’t the case. I want them to beat the odds. I want them to reach their goals – whatever they might be.
I just need to learn to be a bit more patient, allow more time, and explore “other” machines. I need to step outside my comfort zone to allow hopeful success for all.
It’s not my gym. It’s our gym.

Here’s to wishing each and every stranger I see early in the morning positive vibes and the ability to make this new activity they are exploring a permanent and healthy habit.
I'll be cheering you on from that machine over there. **smile** "

No comments:

Post a Comment